Alternative energy is becoming a priority across the United States. Home and business owners are turning to solar power grids as green renovations that can help save money and the environment in a substantial way.
The Tesla Powerwall has been the king of solar energy battery storage systems in the market, but there are emerging New Orleans Tesla Powerwall alternatives that have likewise become popular choices for backup power to lower grid consumption. Get to know the leaders in solar energy batteries aside from the Tesla Powerwall that are chosen by consumers to be valuable alternatives.
LG Chem RESU (Residential Energy Storage Unit)
When this unit is used with a compatible inverter, it can drive up initial costs but the unit itself is cheaper than the Tesla Powerwall by several thousands of dollars. It is a versatile option since there are several available hybrid and multi-mode inverters available in the market for the DC-coupled battery system. It’s differences from the Tesla Powerwall are:
- They come with a variety of storage capacities from 3.3 to 13 kWh.
- Has a slightly higher round-trip efficiency (approximately 96%)
- Larger-size home battery making it adequate for most homes
- Has futuristic styling which makes it more aesthetic
In order to be compatible with a solar panel system, this battery unit needs to work alongside a separate inverter. Like the Powerwall, it has an AC-coupled battery system. Its major differences from the Powerwall include:
- Storage capacities from 3.3 – 16 kWh
- The Lithium LFP Battery is considered safer and more stable, boasting a lifespan of 10,000 cycles.
- Offers a maximum inverter power rating of 3kW for single-phase systems and 3.3 kW for three-phase systems.
- Has a smart system that allows owners to manage where energy is sent
- Has a data-collecting feature that can be used to create an energy profile to be used to learn about a homeowner’s power needs and solar capacity over time.
Aquion Aspen 48S-2.2
This is the only battery that uses saltwater as the liquid inside making it safe to use. It can also be fully dischargeable without suffering any damage. However, using saltwater for these batteries carries other considerations like:
- Lower power output compared to other batteries. Its peak output is 1kW for five minutes and 400w continuous power over a 4-hour discharge.
- Lower lifespan with only 3,000 charge cycles per unit.
- Tend to be much larger and heavier, containing 10-12 batteries to meet the energy needs of a single home.
BYD B-Box Solar Battery System
For a residential Powerwall Alternative, this solar battery system from Shenzhen, China holds up to four 2.5kW battery packs. It is available in four different sizes namely: 2.56kWh, 5.12 kWh, 7.68kWh, and 10.24kWh. The reasons it can be your best option are:
- It uses lithium iron phosphate batteries which are safer than traditional lithium-ion batteries.
- Large power capacities that allow optimal usage of stored energy
- Mighty in power output even if it has a small storage capacity
EverVolt is an AC-coupled home battery storage that can store excess power during the day by your solar panels. It is available in a four- or six-battery configuration, operates with or without solar power, and has usable energy capacities ranging from 11.4kWh to 17.1kWh. Its key features include:
- Flexible storage options
- Easy installation with new or existing solar panel systems
- Seamless integration with most generators
- Monitor and manage system operation and performance
- Stacks up to three EverVolt systems for optimal emissions-free clean energy capacity
Viable Applications of Tesla Powerwall Alternatives in New Orleans
There is no clear-cut best alternative to the Tesla Powerwall in New Orleans. Each of the battery systems has its own viable applications and what will work best for your home will depend on your budget, your location, your personal preference, your home energy consumption, and the features that you desire for your solar panel system.
Battery backups make it more convenient and more cost-effective for you as you use stored energy from excess solar energy instead of depending on energy from the grid. It is best that you consult with a professional installer before you decide on a New Orleans Tesla Powerwall alternative that can work specifically for your home and solar panel system.