Many homeowners like the natural look of hardwood flooring, but they are expensive. Hardwood floor features are offered at a remarkably low laminate flooring cost. Laminate floors are long-lasting and easier to clean than natural wood floors. It is like a floating floor installation because they are not glued down to the subfloor.
Laminate flooring installation price ranges from $1,500 to $3,500.
Laminate wood flooring cost averages from $6 to $14 per square foot, including labor and material costs.
Installing laminate floors is relatively easy, and the flooring project can be completed in just a few hours, depending on the size of the space. Labor costs to install laminate flooring will average between $800 and $1,600 for a 200-square-foot area.
Here’s a detailed guide on how much you can expect to pay for materials and installation.
Cost of Laminate Flooring Per Square Foot
The average cost to install laminate flooring is $3 to $8 per square foot, including labor and materials. Prices range from $0.68 to $2.59 per square foot for laminate flooring only.
In addition to the total cost of the flooring, other factors include subfloor preparation and additional features such as molding and baseboards. Costs can also go higher if the flooring has a pattern that requires additional installation labor.
The lamination cost starts at $0.68 per square foot for Acacia, Cheery, Beech, and Maple woods. For Elm and Hickory, you have to pay around $1.60 per square foot.
- Acacia, Cheery, Beech, Maple, Oak $0.68
- Walnut $0.89
- Elm. Hickory $1.60
Laminate flooring cost changes based on their features. For example, typical scratch-resistant laminate floors cost $0.68 per square foot, while noise and water-resistant types range from $1.39 to $2.79 per square foot.
- Scratch Resistant $0.68 – $2.59
- Radiant/Underfloor Warming Approved $0.68 – $2.79
- Installable over cork Underlayment &0.68 – $2.84
- No Waxing or Polishing Needed $0.99 – $3.33
- Noise Resistant $1.39 – $2.59
- Water Resistant $169 – $2.79
- Underlayment Attached $1.88 – $2.79
Average Cost to Install Laminate Flooring
Flooring for 330 square foot living room and kitchen installation costs $990 to $2,640. Most homeowners spend about $1,815 when professionally installed.
Your final rate will depend on the room size and installation labor costs. The cost to lay laminate flooring is $3 to $8 per square foot, but a commercial level floor will cost $7 to $17 per square foot.
By Room Size
The cost to install laminate flooring in a 15×15 bedroom is $1,223 on average. The following is an example of prices using Pergo flooring installation with underlayment at $3.46 per square foot and $1 per linear foot.
- 80 SF Foyer $451
- 225 SF Bedroom $1,223
- 330 SF Living Room $1,795
Labor Cost to Install Laminate Flooring
The average labor cost to install laminate flooring is $1.72 per square foot. For example, labor costs about $568 to install laminate in a 330-square-foot living room. With the average installation cost of $3 to $8 per square foot total, labor costs make up 20% to 50% of your final cost.
How to Calculate Laminate Wood Flooring Cost
Calculating the cost to install laminate flooring depends on several factors. Prices can differ due to type, flooring size, the difficulty of the job, time of year, labor costs, and geographic location.
When people think of laminate flooring, many think of a material that looks like natural wood. Laminate flooring can mimic hardwood, stone, and tile. Since the design is printed on the material before it’s sealed, the options for patterns, colors, and styles are endless. The laminate flooring cost will vary based on the type, color, and size.
The cost for laminate flooring is based on the flooring area and the complexity of the space. The average price to install a laminate floor is between $6 and $14 per square foot, including labor fees.
The cost can vary based on the type and finish of the flooring. The larger the space, the more expensive it will be since more material is needed. A small room may require a high price if there is a lot of cutting, trimming, or the flooring is installed in a difficult pattern.
Laminate flooring prices vary with the seasons. Prices go up when people hold home improvement projects in the fall before the holiday season, so the end of winter is usually the best time to install this type of flooring.
The labor cost to install laminate flooring is between $4 and $8 per square foot. This price includes the cost of the underlayment.
The underlayment is laid down, and then the laminate is installed on top of it. Thinner laminate flooring costs about $8 per square foot since installation is more difficult and time-consuming.
Geographic location also affects the laminate wood flooring cost of installation. Labor and material prices will change from state to state. Material and installation costs are more expensive in large urban areas than in rural locations.
Laminate Flooring vs. Hardwood Flooring
Laminate is a less expensive option than hardwood flooring. Hardwood flooring costs between $14 and $32 per square foot, more expensive than laminate. Laminate is easier and faster to install, more durable than hardwood and can bear scratches, dents, and water damage.
Advantages and Disadvantages
Following are some of the benefits and downsides of laminate wood flooring:
- Easy to install
- It can be installed over existing flooring because it is a floating floor
- Easy to uninstall
- Laminate costs $1 – $5 per sq. ft. to install
- Low installation cost
- Low maintenance cost
- Available in looks like slate, hardwood, ceramic, and brick
- Available in any wood color
- High gloss
- Laminate cannot be stained
- It can often look like fake hardwood floors
- Durable for 20 – 30 years
- Stain-resistant, mold-resistant, can have antimicrobial resin
- Resists UV rays
- Laminate has more bounce
- Fiberboard is made of materials that can be recycled
- By using laminate flooring, you can donate to (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design)
- The subfloor must be smooth before installing the laminate flooring
- You can not customize the finish of laminate flooring
- In case of damage, you have to replace the whole floor rather than the damaged area
Ways to Save Money on Installation
There are several ways that you can save on installation fees as well. If you are handy at DIY projects, installing your laminate flooring is not a difficult task. However, if you prefer to pay someone to do it, you can reduce the cost, too.
- If the old flooring has to be removed, then do this job yourself. And let your contractor know you are removing it so that they do not include it in your cost.
- You can remove nails, glue, and other debris from the subfloor. And remove any baseboards in advance of the installation, so your contractor doesn’t have to.
- If it is concrete and needs to be leveled, this is relatively easy to do on your own too. And if the subfloor is wood, replace damaged sections and sand down parts that are not leveled.
- Remove all the furniture from the room before your installer arrives because it will cost more to remove furniture.
- Most people hold home improvement projects in the fall, just before the holidays when contractors are very busy. Once the holidays are over, business slows down, and you have a better chance of getting a lower rate for the work.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to install 1000 square feet of laminate flooring?
It will cost between $6 and $14 per sq. ft. to install 1000 square feet of laminate flooring, including labor and material costs.
Is laminate floor cheaper than wood?
Yes, the material and the laminate wood installation cost are cheaper than hardwood installation.
How much does it cost to replace carpet with laminate?
Removing carpet costs $1 to $1.50 per square foot. You can expect to pay from $4 to $23.50 per square foot to replace carpet with laminate.
Is it difficult to lay laminate flooring?
Laying laminate flooring is easy, and it can be fitted into most areas of any home.
Is laminated wood good for flooring?
Yes, laminated wood flooring is good because they are extremely durable. Laminate can bear high traffic with minimal damage and offer UV resistance. It also does not scratch or discolors as easily as hardwood floors.
Laminate has become a popular flooring option as an affordable and durable alternative to hardwood floors. But your new laminate wood flooring cost depends on the quality that you go for.
Unlike genuine hardwood floors, laminate flooring is relatively easy to install and can be installed at a floating floor installation cost. It can be a great DIY project that saves you money.
If you choose to pay for professional installation, expect to pay $1-$3 per square foot, depending on how complicated the project is.